I have been so awful about keeping this blog up to date. It's not as if nothing's been going on in the Liedahl home, it's just that at times I feel too overwhelmed, tired, uninspired, or just plain uninteresting. I guess you'd call it a "slump" regardless of whatever has caused it!
As my waistline (and tush and legs and face) expand I have become so much more sedentary. But even sedentary is uncomfortable at this point! When I was pregnant with Nolan I KNOW I had more energy and stamina, but this time around I just feel like a voraciously hungry bump on a log. At least I'm getting in a lot of good reading before the baby comes...and Nolan doesn't seem to mind just playing out on our patio in the sandbox, painting, or tooling around with his trucks and cars. When we go to the park these days it's to small parks (where he can't run too far away from me!) that have benches in the shade. I hope he doesn't remember this stage of his childhood as being deprived or neglected.
Although he's truly NOT deprived or neglected, something is definitely "setting him off" these days. In the past few weeks he has taken to throwing tantrums like never before which include hitting and kicking me. I'm at my wit's end not knowing how to handle them and I've read all sorts of parenting books, solicited advice from friends and prayed my heart out...but nothing seems to help. Right now it appears that the best thing to do is not to "reason" with him but to leave him alone in a safe place and let him "get it out." I know much of this stems from the fact that he has trouble communicating his wants and needs...and this breaks my heart. In some ways I feel as if his communication skills have not steadily improved in the last few months (as they developmentally should), and may actually be regressing a bit. I just don't know what to do other than to love on him and let him know he's safe. If this behavior and breakdown in communication lasts too much longer I am seriously considering having his speech and language evaluated. I'm not seeing a "red flag" yet, but there's definitely a flag there...and it's slowly turning pink.
In other news, we had a great vacation last week. Right now I'm too exhausted to detail it with pictures and stories...but I promise the time will come. Maybe this weekend, maybe not. Stay tuned!
3 comments:
Charla, I'd like to tell you it will get easier, so I will! You will regain your energy VERY quickly after you give birth! The last couple months were rough with an active toddler... Tantrums will probably escalate after the new baby comes, but then they'll taper off. Patience and prayer! Hang in there!! It really does get easier!!
no apologies needed-ur a busy PREGNANT mommy of 1. the tantrums are a challenge. but i try to ignore connor as much as I can when he starts doing it. it breaks my heart b/c my insticnt is to run over and hold him but he learns nothing positive with that. hang in there!
I honestly think 2 1/2 is when all heck breaks loose -that has held true for both M & S! If you have any concerns about his langauge though - I would say don't hesitate or wait to ask others opinions - "mommy knows best" - so just do it now! If they do find that he is behind in his speech you just might get free preschool for the next few years - now that we are seeing how much it has helped Marshall I am so glad we had him evaluated when we did! It might be good to call your school district now before the baby comes!
Post a Comment