Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Good Eats

I love to cook, and although I'm not a great cook I know my way around the kitchen pretty well.  My Mom is definitely not a good cook, and she readily admits it, so it's not as though I'm throwing her under the bus here on the ol' blog when I proclaim her lack of culinary skills to all of cyberspace.  There are few recipes that we want Mom to repeat, but Turkey Turnover doesn't fall into that category.  I loved this dish as a kid and still love it now, as does my family.  I made Chicken Turnover tonight with the leftovers of a Costco rotisserie chicken and would encourage you to try it someday soon, too!  Easy, nutritious and delicious, this main dish will not disappoint!

Turkey (or Chicken) Turnover
Filling
1/2 c. diced vegetables (you can use whatever you like--I typically use carrots, zucchini and celery)
1/4 c. butter
1 T flour
3 c. diced cooked turkey (or chicken)
1/3 c. prepared gravy (I make mine from an envelope, if I don't have Thanksgiving leftovers)
1/2 t. salt
1 T(ish) fresh chopped rosemary

Melt butter in a high-sided skillet.  Add veggies and saute for a minute or so.  Add diced turkey, prepared gravy, flour, salt and rosemary.  Mix well and remove from heat.

Crust
1.5 c. flour
3/4 t. salt
1/4 c. butter (room temperature)
1 T(ish) fresh chopped rosemary
4-5 T cold water

Sift flour and salt together in mixing bowl.  Cut in butter til mixture is coarse (pea-size pieces.)  Stir in rosemary and sprinkle water over the mixture until it is slightly sticky.  Use your hands to make it into a ball.  On a floured board, roll out dough into 1/4" thickness (approximately a 10" square.)  Transfer dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet.

Spread filling over one half of the dough.  Fold over, moisten a bit and press edges together.  Cut 3-4 slits in the top and bake for about 30 minutes at 425 degrees.

1 comment:

Katie @ minivan diva said...

This sounds delicious. I love recipes that I can use left over chicken. Yum!