*** This is the second chapter of my journey toward meeting my biological family. To get caught up, read from the beginning here. ***
After meeting Elaina for the first time in March I was thrilled to have the opportunity to see her again in May and have the kids meet her, as well. The boys and I drove down from the Bay Area to visit my parents for a quick spring getaway, so Elaina and I planned to meet at a park where we both played as kids. It was wonderful to catch up with her, meet her sweet boyfriend Don, and see the boys giggle and play with their new aunt. At that time I hadn't known that a move to Georgia was in my family's future, although we did have plans to come back down south in the summer for another visit with family and friends. At the park that May morning Elaina and I talked about planning a time where I could meet her mother. Summertime, as it turned out, was the perfect time for us all.
On Wednesday I drove to Elaina's house and was greeted with a tight hug from my dear sister. Then I gazed into my birth mom's tear-filled eyes and shed a few tears myself. Our first ever embrace was of pure joy and fulfilled the mystery of the last 39 years.
My very first impression of Vikki was that of warmth and tenderness. She truly is a woman who puts family first. I was given the gift of life because of her selfless choice in placing me for adoption, and it is obvious that now--as it was then--being a wonderful mom and doing the right thing for her children is her top priority. Elaina and I are both living proof!
Our conversation was simultaneously light and deep...and oh so natural. We laughed and told stories as we added pieces to the puzzle of the last 39 years. Four hours flew by as if they were mere minutes. In direct opposition to the last time we were together, as we parted ways this time we both knew it wouldn't be the last. I am so looking forward to meeting her husband of 37 years, and she is looking forward to meeting Todd and the kids...in a week.
I have a new, special family to add to the many branches of my family tree. I am richly blessed.

3 comments:
Beautiful story! xoxo
I am so happy for you and the way God has brought this story full circle. My husband's mom gave up her daughter when she was 18. We met her for the 1st time about 12 years ago. It is so cool to have a relationship with her now.
i cried!! and the resemblence is striking! so happy for you.
Post a Comment