Thursday, September 1, 2011

Sweet September

This is the month I've been anxiously waiting for and I'm so thrilled it's finally here!  This month we are moving into our new home and we get to be together as a family again!  This month marks the beginning of the newest chapter of our lives and the start of a brand new adventure!  To say I'm excited and anticipating wonderful things is a true understatement.

I have always loved the month of September.  Even though fall doesn't "officially" begin until later in the month, as of the first of September fall is here, in my little world.  September signifies newness to me, much like the month of January.  When school bells ring for the first time my mind spins with the possibilities inherent in a new year of learning.  Much like the adorable Kathleen Kelly, I am wistful thinking of bouquets of newly sharpened pencils.

In September the colors in my mind bleed from cool crisp blue to warm rich orange, practically overnight.  I fight the urge to pull out my sweaters, cords and boots.  Although the calendar page reads September, the thermometer still reads a summery 85 degrees.  How's that for cognitive dissonance?

To me, summer is for playing hard and fall is for working hard.  And working hard at making our house a home filled with meaning and memories is what I long for.  I am excited to usher in this season of...

  • school buses and backpacks
  • sweaters, scarves and boots
  • pumpkins, gourds and falling leaves
  • flannel sheets and down comforters
  • MOPS and new women's Bible Studies at church
  • cool nights and breezy days
  • new friends in new neighborhoods
  • Sunday afternoon football
  • "seasonal drinks" at Starbucks
  • crockpots 
  • glowing fireplaces
  • rain, glorious rain
  • homemade muffins, breads and soups
  • reflecting upon and celebrating the bounty of God's blessings this Thanksgiving
What, if anything, does September signify to you?

3 comments:

Katie @ minivan diva said...

I love fall so much! I can't wait to hear about the adventures awaiting you!

Ingrid @ thesunnyside.me said...

I wish I was you. I want out of CA so bad. How sad is that....a Swedish girl who is blessed to land in CA - now wants seasons! You are absolutely going to love your new home, friends, play dates, grocery stores, church...and all the rest that comes with moving. So happy for you! I'm sorry I haven't emailed you - it's been a crazy whirl wind with work 40+ hours and balancing life. We head to Michigan tomorrow am for a week- cousins wedding. I just want you to know how much I enjoy reading your blog. Thank you for your prayers. I'm praying for you and your new season!

Anonymous said...

Couldn't have said it better. Your words are filled with hope and serenity!