Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Blessing Of Friendship

I had a calendar back in college that had a quote on it that has stuck with me over the years. It said something to the effect of "Old friends are the best friends, unless you've made a new friend to make an old friend out of." Every day we interact with people, some of which will become our dear friends, some of which will be mere acquaintances and some that won't affect our lives one bit. This weekend I felt so blessed to spend time with some of my oldest and dearest friends, Danny and Mary Still, who were visiting from Texas. They left the Texas heat to come to the California heat (Hello! What's up with the 103 degree weather in April, God?) and celebrate their anniversary.

Danny and I met in high school when we were both 17. I have known him for more than half of my life! We even went to our senior prom together. At one point he lived with my parents...so they love him too. He is truly like a brother to me and is "forever family" in my book! Mary and I met our junior year in college and bonded over dating the same guy (at different times, of course--and not Danny!) as well as in our small group Bible study. I love Mary's caring heart and how relationships with people are of utmost importance to her. But I especially love how the Lord brought these two wonderful people together! They are a fantastic couple and great friends that I will forever cherish.


I've been so very blessed with true friends throughout the course of my life. Some friends have been "for a season" and others are for life. Whether old friend or new, I am so grateful that God has addressed my human need for relationships and has seen fit to bring special people into my life. Of course I love my "old friends" and my "current friends," but I especially look forward to having "new friends" become "old friends" over time.

No comments: