Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Different Sort Of Easter

Hunting for eggs with Daddy

Forget the family picture...let me at the eggs!


This Easter was unlike any other for the Liedahl family. We weren't with extended family, nor were we working on Easter preparations for days beforehand at church. Yesterday we celebrated Easter with four other families with a picnic in the park. The other six kids had an egg hunt that Nolan refused to participate in because he was much too distracted by the (gymnastics) parachute my friend Joy had brought. So Todd collected eggs for him, sweet Daddy that he is.
This morning we went to the early service at church. We are not typically early service people but we assumed it would be less crowded than the later service. Even the early service was packed to the gills and the pastor gave a great sermon...until the end. We were dumbfounded that there was no opportunity given for people to accept Christ! The sermon was all about the power of the resurrection, but didn't give people a reason to accept this power by asking Jesus into their hearts! I have never been to an Easter service where the focus was not on saving sinners, and I left the service grieving for those who were there who may have wanted to come to Christ but needed someone to guide them in their decision. I know that God works mightily in spite of (and in lack of) human effort, but I feel as though our pastor totally missed the boat today and I'm sad.
After church we came home and Nolan had fun hunting for eggs and enjoying other "a-prizes" (surprises) in his Easter basket. We all rested this afternoon and then enjoyed a delicious dinner at the Macaroni Grill. A good day...just not our "typical Easter."

No comments: