Quite a few people have asked about my thoughts on vaccines and autism since we are now on our own autism journey. Clearly, nothing about autism is black and white since there is no proven cause or a cure. The questions are many and the answers are few, but here are my thoughts on the matter thus far...
To be brutally honest, I don't believe that vaccines CAUSE autism, but I do believe that for SOME CHILDREN who may have compromised immune systems vaxes could feasibly trigger autistic characteristics. Nolan is fully immunized, basically on time, with the exception of the MMR. He received the MMR at 2.5, not for fear of autism, but because the brain is over 90% developed by then and I concluded, after much research, that waiting on this especially controversial, somewhat "suspect" immunization would be safer. Nolan also received his chicken pox vax late, at age 3, just prior to starting preschool. Soren has been fully vaxed so far and I will continue to have him immunized but will delay the MMR and chicken pox vaccines until 2.5 and 3 years, respectively. My boys do not receive more than two vaccines at a time and have had little or no adverse reaction to any of them.
I do not believe that vaxing OR NOT vaxing Nolan would have caused or prevented his autism. We don't know why he has it, but we thank God every day that it is mild, that it is being treated, and that we are seeing amazing progress already due to his special therapy based school. With that being said, Nolan is physically healthy in every other way...no allergies, digestive issues etc. that frequently plague autistic children. We KNOW our burden could be much heavier than it is. We are thankful for God's grace that makes our burden light.
I've learned that Soren has a higher probability of being autistic because 1) he is a boy (1 in 70 boys are now autistic) and 2) his brother has autism so if there is a genetic link he is more prone to it. Yet, I choose not to live in fear and simply trust God for my children's well-being. My boys will not die from autism. Their quality of life may be compromised, but with early intervention there is GREAT HOPE for recovery. Autism is not the "death sentence" that so many people fear. It does not automatically condemn a person to life inside an institution as it did 30 years ago. In my opinion, autism is no more than a terribly sad manifestation of just ONE OF A MILLION THINGS that could go wrong in our bodies. Todd and I agree that we'd rather our children be autistic and alive than die from a disease that could literally kill them, should we chosse to not vaccinate them. This is why we choose to immunize our boys and PRAY over every choice we make as their parents.
Although I am "pro-vax," I can certainly understand parents who choose not to immunize their children. It is a parent's choice and I can only hope and pray that every parent has done their own research and drawn their own conclusions about whether or not to immunize their children. Autism and vaccines is a "hot button" in our culture and I've witnessed it divide friendships. Of course I hope that other parents share my opinion so as to keep the "herd immunity" we need to be fully protected, but if a parent chooses to "go against the herd" that is their prerogative. I won't lambast someone who has done the research and made an informed choice, although I WILL give someone grief for simply living in fear and doing nothing other than swallowing someone else's opinion while not taking the time to thoughtfully develop thier own.
In the end, no parent wishes autism or any other misfortune on their child. It would be such a blessing if we all worked together for the common goal of ending autism, regardless of the vaccine debate.
3 comments:
i was so happy you posted this-i've been curious to see how the preschool is going! have you adjusted yet? it took me a good month to stop crying when i dropped connor off. im glad things are well and we pray for nolan's continued progress!!
Well said! I always have to qualify myself when I tell people that Samara is not vaccinated (yet), that I'm not anti-vax, but simply very cautious. I am so happy that all the focus on vaccines HAVE put pressure on the Rx companies to remove mercury though - that is something that surely should benefit everybody and eases my mind! Also the warnings they have out for preggers mommies (for flu vaccines with mercury) now that they didn't used to 5 years ago. Awareness has changed! We are not sure if we will continue Marshall's until he is much older, he always had reactions/rashes/fevers, but Samara's we will probably be starting very slowly, one at a time. Gabe's will be delayed until his language is all in. I will rest easier when they are all older and have all of their vacc's, I wouldn't think about letting them travel to another country until they are all immunized and that bothers me. (cause I don't want them to be held back by that! I want them to be able to particiate in missions trips and such) I'm hopeful that in a few deacdes we will know so much more about why some kids can or can't tolerate them.
And you're so right about autism not being as bad as other things - while it does vary from situation to situation - and is heartbreaking if your kid is completely nonverbal or has wild behaviors, for me - every day with Marshall is a gift and I appreciate every step of his development so much more. Nolan will do fantastic!
Charla I loved reading this, thank you so much for this post! Having five children, I am of course no stranger to the vaccination debate.
We have made the decision to vaccinate using the recommended schedule. Any time one of my kids has gotten a shot as a baby, I've felt a twinge of fear...what if I'm somehow causing something bad to happen...but, at the end of the day, I know the Lord is in control. AND, having two sons who come from a country where children die from these very diseases, I think vaccinations are important.
I love your faith and trust in God. Your sweet boy is just who God made him to be!
Post a Comment