Friday, September 17, 2010

Summer? Fall? I'm Confused!

The weather has been so idiosyncratic around here.  This morning when I woke up it was grey and drizzly for the first time in a good long while.  Finally.  I loved it.  Soren and I donned pants, sweaters and closed toe shoes (gasp!) and headed to playgroup.  It was a cool, crisp 55 degrees.  A perfect morning at the park. 

When we returned home I decided to celebrate the impending changing of the seasons by whipping up one of my favorite fall recipes for dinner tonight--Potato Corn Chowder.  So so good.  The aroma filled my kitchen for hours as it simmered in the crock pot.

Then, around 2:30 the sun peeked out through the dreary clouds.  A bit later the clouds parted.  Then the sun came out in full middle-of-summer force and warmed up our little neighborhood to a warmer-than-I-would-have-liked 82 degrees.  The air conditioner kicked on as it reached 77 dergrees upstairs.  Blast!  What a cruel tease!
Despite the fact that our chowder wasn't exactly apropos for the warm day we ended up with, it gave me a glimpse of what is sure to come.  Oh fall,  I love you so.

To bring a little fall warmth into your home try this super easy, delicious recipe.  It will not disappoint.

Potato Corn Chowder

1/2 bag of frozen hash browns (about 4 cups)
1 can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 can cream style corn
1 can evaporated milk
8 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 t. worcestershire sauce

Put all the ingredients in your crock pot.  Mix well.  Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.

Ladle into bowls.  Top with fresh ground pepper and cheese.  Enjoy with crusty bread.

1 comment:

The Dadej Family said...

This recipe was delicious! We loved every last bite of it. Thank you so much!!!