A couple of weeks ago, on a very ordinary Saturday morning, our little family of four set out on a "quick" run to Home Depot. Our mission was to pick up two new dome lights for the boys rooms. They both have cute table lamps, but cute doesn't necessarily emit sufficient light...and I was tired of feeling like I entered the shadows whenever I set foot in their rooms. On the way there, Todd and I agreed that our bedroom could use more light as well, so we decided to look at lighting options for our room, too. In five minutes flat we had chosen fixtures for the boys rooms, and saw a few options we liked for our room. But just to be sure we were "covering our bases" we decided to head a few minutes farther down the road to Lowe's to check out their lighting department. Lowe's had a completely different array of choices and, all of a sudden, our decision loomed much MUCH larger! Fortuitously, we then remembered that there was a Lamps Plus closer to home and we certainly wouldn't be savvy shoppers unless we checked out their inventory, too! We loaded the boys back up in the van and headed to the overkill that is Lamps Plus. Too. Many. Choices.
Did we want a simple dome light? A ceiling fan with lights? A pendant? And then Todd asked me the question I never thought I'd hear from his mouth..."What do you think about a chandelier?" A chandelier? Now you're speaking my language! He was surprised that I was surprised by his suggestion of considering a chandelier! Truthfully, I shouldn't have been surprised because we watch enough Divine Design With Candace Olson to know that we both appreciate the look of a chandelier...in the right space. But could our bedroom be "the right space?" Just maybe...
When my eyes fell upon the chandelier we ended up purchasing, I knew we had come across "the one." It was hip, a little bit edgy, but girly and glam enough to make my heart swoon. Todd spends lots of time in high-end posh hotels and comes home to tell me about them. This piece looked like it would be at home in a Four Seasons or up at The Nines. We decided it would make its home in our bedroom as well.
So we got the beauty home and installed in a few hours time and ooh-ed and ahh-ed over it, happy. But then the rest of our bedroom looked a little "shabby," but not in a shabby-chic way. I rummaged through our linen closet and pulled out some curtains we had hung in our last place. We hung them up in our bedroom and liked what we saw. But our bedroom doesn't have just one window, it has three, and the other two windows looked neglected. Off to Bed Bath and Beyond we went, hoping to find the exact same curtains that we had just hung. We did find those silk curtains, but we didn't remember the steeper-than-we-wanted-to-pay price, so we opted for a sheer version instead. We got home, hung the new sheers on glitzy new hardware, and then realized that the bedside lamps we had didn't complement the ethereal / romantic / glam look we were creating.
A trip to Home Depot later, we came home with two new lamps. I knew I didn't like the shades from the get-go, but the lamps were on clearance so we snatched them up and opted to replace the shades with something else. Lamps Plus to the rescue! Now I was grateful for the too. many. choices.
As for the rest of our room? We bought our bedroom suite about four years ago and I love it now just as much as the day we bought it. (Todd says that's a good thing because we are both going to die in that bed! Quality furniture is not cheap, people! And then Thomasville had the audacity to discontinue the line despite the fact we hadn't purchased the armoire yet! We were going to...when it went on massive sale! And now it won't ever be on sale because it no longer exists! Humph! Someday I'll need to look for it on ebay. *Sigh!*) Anywho, I had the accessories here and there around the house, so with a little re-purposing and re-arranging we now have a bedroom we both adore. Without further ado, our new bedroom...
| The glitz and glam that started it all! |
| We did not paint. The wall colors were chosen by the owner...but we sort of like them! |
| The feathers are cranberry colored, like the wall. We had to bring in that color somehow! |
So what do you think?
2 comments:
LOVE LOVE LOVE it! that is the exact style bed i want!! too bad it probably doesnt exist anymore either right??? good job on your decor
OH my goodness I LOVE IT!!! I can so relate to the snowball effect of decorating, checking multiple stores for the best price or product, etc. I think my fave part of the room is the table lamps and shades! SO fun!
Post a Comment