Friday, October 24, 2008

Close To My Heart

Sure, it was 92 degrees here today...but Christmas is on its way despite the weather. In just a bit more than two short months millions of people throughout the world will celebrate Christmas. Many people center their Christmas around Santa and shopping, completely ignoring what Christmas is all about--Jesus' birth. Other people will rightly focus upon the coming of Christ and give glory to God for what He has done. There are still others who choose not to observe any holiday whatsoever and treat the Christmas season as just any other time of the year.

But then there are those people for whom my heart aches. Those who don't know the true meaning of Christmas simply because they have never heard. Samaritan's Purse, a remarkable Christian organization dedicated to bringing the gospel to people by meeting their physical needs, does just that. Their Operation Christmas Child project brings the hope of the gospel to millions of children, primarily in third world nations, in the form of a gift filled shoebox. The recipients of these shoeboxes receive age-appropriate toys, hygeine items, craft and school supplies and a small picture book detailing the gospel message in their own language. For many children, their shoebox will be the only gift they receive in an entire year. Oftentimes this tangible expression of love is the conduit to finding their One True Love, Jesus Christ.

Operation Christmas Child is by far my favorite ministry. I wholeheartedly believe in the mission of this ministry and If I had the financial means to provide a million shoebox gifts I would! Every year I feel called to contribute at a deeper level. One day, hopefully not in the too-distant future, I would be humbled and honored to travel with OCC's delivery crew to meet and minister to the children who recieve these gifts. But for now I will head to Wal-Mart, The Dollar Store and Target to purchase goodies for the shoeboxes my family will fill. I will pray for these children I do not know and for the Word of God to reach them and change them forever.

Will you join me in sharing Jesus' love this Christmas? Act now!

1 comment:

Gena said...

I love OCC! My mom has been doing it for years, and has always involved Andrew in preparing the boxes. I know that Kevin still might be a little young, but I look forward to teaching him to serve and about joyful giving with these boxes this year!