Thursday, May 27, 2010

Keep On Truckin'

I drove 400 miles on the I-5 today. We left our house before sunup (at 5am on the dot) and arrived in the OC at 12:18pm. Not bad, considering I had two little people in tow and we stopped twice. I have always been an "inquisitive driver" (and passenger, for that matter) and my vivid imagination is always concocting scenarios of where the other people on the road are headed, what they do for a living, where they live, what they ate for breakfast etc. But I'm most intrigued with the truckers. Where are they going? Did they sleep in their cab last night? What do they do to keep themselves awake? Do they listen to music or audio books? What's it like to eat at a truck stop? Are they desperately lonely or is there a "family of truckers" they belong to? All I know is that I couldn't do what they do for a variety of reasons. The most obvious one...I couldn't stand driving so darn slow! My friend Priscilla told me not long ago that as a little girl she really really wanted to be a truck driver when she grew up. I think it's hilarious and wonder what the appeal was. As I sped past hundreds of trucks today I made up many stories in my head...not one of which included Priscilla. I just can't picture it. She'd be the cutest truck driver ever...but whatever.

1 comment:

The Ratcliff's said...

i spend most of my week in the car, on the road, tracking miles for my job and i always wonder about people. i used to have a fascination with truck drivers until one time, we were camping and a sheriff who was in our camping group told me that many of them are on drugs (mostly speed) so they can stay awake all night/day to make their deliveres. then i thought, LOSERS! i know this probably doesnt apply to alot of them, but still. that killed it for me.