It was SO SO SO good to have Todd with us last weekend. Life isn't as it should be when he's away. The kids and I picked him up at the airport on Thursday afternoon and then headed out to Fuddrucker's for dinner. Nolan loves "the grilled cheese restaurant" not only for the grilled cheese but for the arcade full of crazy games and even crazier prizes. (For me, Fudd's is all about the hamburger buns--they are seriously the best! Buttered and grilled? Yes, please!) Todd has super-hero grade hand-eye coordination and consistently wins prizes for the boys on the "claw" games. Mommy is severely lacking in this area so I tell the boys that Mommy doesn't have any quarters...but Daddy does!
On Friday we ventured out to Knott's Berry Farm for the day. Todd hadn't been there since he was a child, and I hadn't been there since 1999. I actually broke my wrist that day at Knott's, but that's a story for another time. Anyhow, the kids had never been to KBF and we thought it would be fun to take them where there are lots of trains and cowboys--little boy heaven, right? Not so much. It was super hot and there is very little shade and, as we learned, you have to hunt for ice cream. Between the ungodly temperature and the fact that Todd and I quickly concluded that Knott's employees are slow, disgruntled, unhappy Disneyland rejects (the big D and KBF are about 5 miles apart) we lasted about four hours. Poor Nolan was miserable having to wait for rides in the scorching sun. Many a tantrum, many a tantrum. He loved the water raft ride so the day was not a bust, but it wasn't a blast, either. Soren's highlight was an orange balloon. Figures. We have no need to visit Knott's Berry Farm ever again, though. We had planned to be at the park all day, but leaving at 3 o'clock fortuitously gave Todd and I the opportunity for date night. El Torito and Our Idiot Brother were a good combination and end to the day.
On Saturday we met up with my birth mom, Vikki, and her husband Steve, Elaina and her boyfriend Don, and my new brother, Nick, for lunch. It was a sweet time to be together. Todd and the boys enjoyed meeting their new extended family...and I'm pretty sure they were a hit, too.
Sunday morning came around much too quickly and we dropped Todd off at the airport after extended hugs. Gratefully, Hurricane Irene didn't affect his travel plans as she ravaged much of the East Coast that day. We are hoping to all be together again next weekend, but with Todd's work schedule that may or may not happen. Our fingers are crossed.
A full weekend of lots of public places crawling with germs has left my little Nolan one sick kid. He's zonked out on the couch fighting a 104 degree fever and a nasty case of strep throat. As much as I hate seeing him sick, I am thrilled that he can now tell me what's wrong and I no longer have to guess. This afternoon he said "Mommy, my mouth hurts" so I had him open wide and was greeted with mouth sores like I've never seen before. We were at the doctor an hour later diagnosed with strep (for the first time.) Since he can not / will not take oral antibiotics he got a big ol' needle in the thigh full of "get you better medicine" so hopefully he'll be on the mend after a good night's sleep.
Todd's visit was a balm to my weary soul. Nolan's illness is hopefully on its way out. Both are just what the doctor ordered.
1 comment:
sorry to hear KBF was a doozy...im debating on taking Connor for the upcoming halloween events for kids. and so glad todd was able to visit! few more weeks...
Post a Comment