We have our daily routine, Soren and I. I love my little shadow and I love the time I get to spend with him. Every day is a blessing (of course there are many days I have to remind myself of that!) but Wednesdays are my favorite. It's "date day" and we do things together that don't tend to happen on other days of the week.
After dropping big boy off at school we head to Starbucks. The same Starbucks every time...the one with the barista whose son is the exact same age as Soren, the one with policemen sipping their coffee outside on the patio, the one where we pass the giant tractors in an adjacent parking lot and I'm reminded to "Look, Momma!" as if it's the first time we've ever passed them. We open the door with gusto and my handsome little date says "Hi, Friends!" a tad bit too loudly to the customers inside. We are acknowledged with smiles, and questions, and high-fives, and compliments galore on his hair.
Oh that hair. Is it ever a conversation starter! Who knew that a cowlick would garner such attention? Both my boys have their Daddy's coarse porcupine hair, but Soren has the cowlick of all cowlicks...a perfect little wave right at the top of his forehead. It's absolutely adorable and in style right now, but I just hope it will still be in style in 80 years 'cause there ain't nothin' that can tame that bad boy.
We get in line. Correction...I get in line, Soren makes the rounds to his "fans." Considering that his fans include the baristas, he assumes that it's acceptable to make his way behind the counter. Every time. And every time I tell him, "Not now, Buddy. In 16 years you can work here and get me a discount but today you're with me, Kid."
I am a creature of habit when it's not "holiday time." Tall raspberry mocha, light whip. My little guy prefers a petite vanilla scone and juice box but today he chose the pink sprinkle mini donut. The beloved scone may have been replaced.
We enjoy our treats and chat with strangers. How I will ever teach him to be wary of strangers is beyond me. When it's time to scoot on out we hold hands and hop hop hop across the parking lot to the van like bunnies. Or sometimes we march like soldiers. Rarely do we ever walk.
On our drive we comment about baby horses, trucks, train tracks and churches. Soren loves churches, and so do I. At two and a half I think he just instinctively knows that churches are places where Jesus is present.
This kid, this precious little boy, melts my heart into a lovely sappy puddle. I love him...and I love our Wednesdays together. I think he does, too.

4 comments:
what a great way to make sweet memories with a sweet boy! sounds like so much fun. i love my dates with my kiddo, too - nothing fancy, but even the little, simple things are special. :)
This is the sweetest thing ever and he is absolutely adorable! You are an amazing mom... not that I'm surprised. :)
I love that you get your special together time like that.
He is a doll. Your dates with him sound amazing!
Post a Comment