A few interesting tidbits I've learned about our new surroundings...
- San Ramon has more parks per capita than any other town in Northern California. If I'm remembering correctly, there are 19. We've visited 7 or 8 so far and I'm very impressed! They're even better than the "master planned" parks in Irvine!
- San Ramon is known by locals as "the mini Windy City" or "the Windy City of the west." It seems like the wind is always blowing! Should we buy a kite?
- With the wind, my allergies have been INSANE! I have a medicine cabinet full of Benadryl and Claritin, but I probably ought to buy stock in both of their respective pharmaceutical companies.
- Northern California is not as crunchy as I expected. People drive gas-guzzling SUVs, have "vote for McCain" stickers slapped on their vehicles, and eat "real food" (as opposed to vegan-soy-tofu-wheat germ crap) at restaurants.
- Northern California has no clue what Mexican food is supposed to taste like. I miss my favorite little hole-in-the-wall place that's simply called "Mexican Food" in Encinitas!
- Maybe it's both of our imaginations, but Todd and I both swear that the lanes on the road are not as wide as they are in Southern California. However, we both love the fact that you can get in and out of the carpool lane on the freeway whenever you choose since there are no yellow lines!
- We see cows on the side of the road regularly. It's so refreshing not to live in a concrete jungle! The hills and the trees are beautiful...and undeveloped!
- With the cows come the rodeos. There are two within fifteen miles of our home. Yeehaw!
- The Bay Bridge is a toll road when you head into San Francisco. Too bad we didn't know this until AFTER we were stuck in traffic and had a hard time wiggling out and trying to find an ATM in a town we know nothing about.
All in all, we are slowly adjusting. But it will be a good while before we're "home."
No comments:
Post a Comment